Moonrise: The Equinox Edition
Come see the Full Moon rise above downtown Montréal from atop Mont Royal
In "Moonrise: The Equinox Edition", we'll see the Moon rise in the East above downtown Montréal on the Autumn Equinox. The sky will be dark and the Moon will appear red and large then it first appears on the horizon.
After rising, take a closeup look at it with the telescope and get your very own photo with your phone.
- 6:45 PM: Meet at George-Étienne Cartier Monument (Tam Tams statue)
- 7:00 PM: Leave the statue
- 7:30 PM: Arrive at Chalet du Mont Royal
- 7:53 PM: The Moon rises
What You'll Learn
- the phases of the Moon
- why the Full Moon always rises around sunset time
- why the Moon looks red and large when it's low on the horizon
- how to find when the next Full Moon will be
- how to find the exact time and location the Full Moon will rise
- how to notice the rotation of the Earth in real-time
- how to use several free smartphone astronomy apps:
What to Expect
When the Moon is low on the horizon, it'll have a reddish-orange colour and appear larger than usual. It's not actually larger... it's just a trick of human visual perception.
For most first-timers, they are surprised by the view. If the sky is clear, it won't disappoint. We'll have the telescope with us too, so you can take a look and snap some pretty photos.
Get Your Own Moon Photo
With the telescope, we can get detailed looks at the Moon. But using a smartphone attachment, you can get your own photo of the Full Moon with your phone:
- If it's absolutely pouring out, we're NO GO.
- If it's super cloudy, with no hope for a view, we're NO GO.
- If it's a little cloudy, but we can see a good chunk of the sky, we are GO!
- If there's no clouds at all, we are GO!
If the event is canceled due to weather, you receive a 100% refund. You'll receive an email with the credit amount and it will appear on your credit card statement within 1-2 days.
If you can't make it and need to cancel your ticket, here's the refund policy:
More than 48 hours before event 100% refund
Between 24 and 48 hours before event 50% refund
Less than 24 hours before event No refund
I would recommend if you have trouble walking up the mountain to meet us up at the top, as it can be physically taxing for some.
There are several bus routes that will take you up the mountain and will leave you with a much easier 10-minute walk to the chalet:
From Mont-Royal: Bus #11, get off at the Remembrance / Chemin du Chalet stop
From Concordia/Area: Bus #165 or Bus #166 to Côte-des-Neiges / Forest Hill, transfer to Bus #11, get off at the Remembrance / Chemin du Chalet stop
If you need help finding a bus route, don’t hesitate to comment or send a personal message and I will help you out.