Come see the Full Moon rise above downtown Montréal at sunset during this Mont-Royal walking tour
In this edition, we'll see the Moon rise about 20 minutes before the Sun sets. As the sky begins to darken, the Moon will begin shining for all to see.
After rising, take a closeup look at it with the telescope and get your very own photo with your phone.
- 7:15 PM: Meet at George-Etienne Cartier Monument (Tam Tams Statue)
- 7:30 PM: Leave the statue
- 8:00 PM: Arrive at Chalet du Mont Royal
- 8:19 PM: The Moon rises
- 9:15 PM: End of tour
What You'll Learn
- the phases of the Moon
- why the Full Moon always rises around sunset time
- why the Moon looks red and large when it's low on the horizon
- how to find when the next Full Moon will be
- how to find the exact time and location the Full Moon will rise
- how to notice the rotation of the Earth in real-time
- how to use several free smartphone astronomy apps:
What to Expect
When the Moon is low on the horizon, it'll have a reddish-orange colour and appear larger than usual. It's not actually larger... it's just a trick of human visual perception.
For most first-timers, they are surprised by the view. If the sky is clear, it won't disappoint. We'll have the telescope with us too, so you can take a look and snap some pretty photos.
Get Your Own Moon Photo
With the telescope, we can get detailed looks at the Moon. But using a smartphone attachment, you can get your own photo of the Full Moon with your phone:
- If it's absolutely pouring rain out, we're NO GO.
- If it's cloudy, but no threat of rain, we are still GO (and will still learn a lot!)
- If there's no clouds at all, we are GO!
I would recommend if you have trouble walking up the mountain to meet us up at the top, as it can be physically taxing for some.
There are several bus routes that will take you up the mountain and will leave you with a much easier 10-minute walk to the chalet:
From Mont-Royal: Bus #11, get off at the Remembrance / Chemin du Chalet stop
From Concordia/Area: Bus #165 or Bus #166 to Côte-des-Neiges / Forest Hill, transfer to Bus #11, get off at the Remembrance / Chemin du Chalet stop
If you need help finding a bus route, don’t hesitate to comment or send a personal message and I will help you out.