Intro to Astronomy
Learn astronomy basics, how to use a telescope, astronomy apps, and a whole lot more...
This is a crash-course in astronomy for curious people. Even in the city – with all its light pollution – we can see the Moon, planets, space stations, and more with the naked eye. I'll show you how.
See the Moon Close-Up
Never seen the Moon through a telescope before? Prepare to be amazed.
We'll learn names of some craters and seas on the Moon, and get a sense of their size. After, we'll attach your phone to the telescope so you can walk away with your very own photo like this:
- 7:45 PM: meet at Parc du Pelican
- 7:50 PM: learn basics of rotation of the Earth and how to notice it
- 8:00 PM: begin learning how to use Stellarium and learn astronomy concepts
- 8:15 PM: learn what planets we can see with the naked eye
- 8:30 PM: learn how to use the telescope and look at the Moon
- 9:00 PM: workshop ends
What You'll Learn
- how to notice the rotation of the Earth in real-time
- why the Moon and the planets move along the same path the Sun does in the sky
- how to spot planets in the sky with the naked eye
- how to use a telescope and see the planets yourself
- how to use several free smartphone astronomy apps:
Cancellation / Refunds
Weather Cancellation Policy
This workshop is weather dependent. 2 hours before the workshop, you'll get an email saying if we are GO or NO-GO.
- If it's raining, the event will be postponed to another date. If you can't attend the future date, you'll receive a full refund.
- If it's cloudy, partly cloudy, or clear, the event goes on. Even with clouds, we'll still be learning a lot.
If you can't make it and need to cancel yourself, please tell me as soon as possible.
More than 48 hours before event: 100% refund
Between 24 and 48 hours before event: 50% refund
Less than 24 hours before event: No refund